Friday, January 28, 2011

Life as a Needle Sticker



I think my body is rebelling against having a needle stuck into it every day. My belly seems to have started developing this little roll of self protective fat across the middle. Bodies are so clever, it knows that it is being subjected to hurt every day and is trying to protect the muscle and lean mass underneath. How clever. The body amazes me every day. I have experienced some other amazing protective reactions as a result of a lack of any intense exercise and daily needle stick injuries.....

1. The aforementioned protective roll
2. The lungs have developed a puffing capacity when trying to exercising too
hard. It kicks in quite early these days....just as well, it stops the
potential of pushing my leg too hard. Important to listen to the body's
warning signs ;-)
3. The legs themselves feel heavy when cycling (or walking) up a hill. Again,
what a marvellous way for the body to tell you enough is enough: 'whoa there,
your're risking injury if you make me tired, back off buddy, time for coffee'.
4. The sense of taste. Well chocolate must be good for healing. Nuff said.
5. And finally the head. It now tells me that an hour or 2 is enough. Instead
of heading out for a 4 hour bike ride and getting to about 3.5 before the
head says 'enough', it now happens round about the 1 hour mark. Perfectly aligned with a protective response for my little leg.

And so what can I do? My body obviously knows best right? I must be careful not to overdo it and to let the body heal to its own rhythmn and reason. Who am I to argue?

Happy training :-).

F
x

p.s. I haven't surrendered completely, I am up to 20 mins of running (1 x a week), plus another walk/run session, and I am still swimming and cycling albeit to a lower capacity......it will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment