Monday, January 11, 2010

It's a Garfish Week

Well back to reality after such a lovely Christmas break pretending to be a full time triathlete...emphasis on thee 'tri' I think!!!

So this week marks an important milestone in my journey to Ironman. Friday 15th January marks the date when I am either 'all stops out' or 'all stop'. I had a traumeel injection in my calf last Friday in hope that it might settle down the tightness and pain I am still getting. It is now 14 weeks since I've run, and with a little over 7 until my legs are supposed to belt out a marathon on top of everything else....

Last week was a 'recovery' week in the 20 week programme, the last in the race build up. It included an easy 3 hour ride on Sunday. Emm, Soph and I commented on the way round that it actually made us realise how far we'd come in our journey - the ride really was easy compared to the past few weeks. We cruised through over 90km, which at the start of this campaign would have been a 'long' ride!!! Your perpective changes a little when you become entrenched in Ironman training.

So after 'recovery' week (it still included about 16 hours of training) you'd think I'd be feeling fresh as a daisy..mmmmm well if yesterday was anything to go by then I didn't spend enough time recovering. After a really good strength wind train and water run session with Emm yesterday morning, I did some massages and then went to core strength. What I omitted in that was the 2....yes 2 sleeps I had. One quick 20 min on the massage table, and another 30 mins nap in the car before getting stuck into push ups, prone holds, squats, more push ups, arm weights, tricep dips, lunges, more prone holds, 50 varieties of crunches, and more push ups..(thanks Jacqui!!).

This week it is back to a full on training schedule. My friend suggested maybe I needed an easy week based on yesterday's napping marathon, 'but Nessy I had that last week and this is supposed to be a garfish one'. Have you every forgotton to check predictive text before you send it...well yes my 'garfish' week also represents my state of mind I think. Confusion is setting in, is my legs store because the injury is still bad, or because there's scar tissue that has tightened everything up, or a mixture of both? Or am I in that tired all the time mode and not thinking straight about anything anymore?

Well anyway, I decided that this morning I should really give my leg a run out before I made my decision whether I'm in or not. So I did the squad track session and am now sitting on ice for a while...and maybe I'll sneak a little nap in before work..it's all a bit too hardish!!

Faye
x

No comments:

Post a Comment