Friday, August 27, 2010

The 10 Steps of IM

Well I think I have entered stage 10 of Ironman NZ 2010......who'd have thought it was so complicated.....no one told me how many stages there were supposed to be.

Stage 1 - November 2009. Enter
Stage 2 - November 2009 - March 2010. Panic
Stage 3 - November 2009 - March 2010. Train your butt off with crazy friends
Stage 4 - Blissful taper week
Stage 5 - March 6th 2010. RACE DAY! ELATION! PARTY!
Stage 6 - Recover and..ooops stress fracture & the more troublesome ITB!
Stage 7 - May 2010. I must be crazy. Enter IM NZ 2011....!
Stage 8 - March - August 2010. Months of physio and losing fitness
This week stage 9 - surgery on my ITB!
Stage 10 - August 2010. 6 weeks of rehab



Just in time for......you guessed it....entering the 20 week NZ IM 2011 programme




I never knew there were 10 stages to a race; at least I haven't quite reached the fabled 12 steps. Not just quite yet anyway!

Let me recap the last 5 1/2 months of my life and what I've learnt that has hopefully prepared me better for my next IM NZ challenge in 2011.

- I've learnt that no one is infallible
- That whatever the best laid plan are, they can change - and that's ok (right?!)
- That going to the gym and doing weights is still boring, and always will be
- That I LOVE running and cycling and yes OK.....even swimming!
- I can just watch a race without blowing up, but I'd prefer to be doing it
- I can still participate in coffee rides, minus the riding
- I have a great boyfriend who humors my need to bake as therapy :-)
- I love my friends for the following reasons:

They keep telling me how awesome it is to smash out a 100km bike ride and 1 hour run; They tell me about how much quicker they're getting; They say they're jealous of my time off; They help me carb load by buying me chocolate; They remind me that actually this is my life!

These are a few of my inspiring friends who have a wonderful mix of loyalty, passion, reality and compassion. Love ya!


So what next. Well my limited exercise regime is now ramping up. I am entering stage 10 with a big bandage on my leg and set of crutches, and look forward to the next 8 weeks of doing what the Doctor says so that I am ready to take on any challenge any one of you may like to put down for me!!! And no, it will not progress to stage 11 or 12....I am not ready to be over my addiction!

Off to practice on my crutches.

F
x

No comments:

Post a Comment