Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pressure Cooker...

Well I'll be blown, the extent of my incapacitation has reached the big cheeses at Statoil on a north sea oil rig.....“We still have an unstable pressure situation,” Gisle Johanson, a company spokesman, said by phone today".

I also am slightly worried by the wikipedia definition of instability:
'Instability in systems is generally characterized by some of the outputs or internal states growing without bounds.'
Good grief, they are describing what is happening to my mid drift....'growing without bounds' eek! There's also a worrying trend for my brain to suddenly feel like it's going explode...I am wandering if there is a pressure release valve anywhere that can be deployed in case of emergency by those that are my nearest and dearest - you know who you are so make sure you have some idea as to how to achieve the necessary calming effect that comes from releasing the pressure valve!

Let me explain.....21 weeks of no running, 6 weeks of no biking. Let me put it another way 'I NEED TO RUN AND EXPEND ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!'. If only I could bank it for the next Ironman training, if only it worked like that :-). What am I going on about you may think; enjoy the rest, take the time to 'discover' another interest...well I do enjoy other things, cooking, writing, reading, gardening, but let me share what it does for me when I can pull on the runners and escape out the door for an hour:

It's 5am, darkness is still all around, the Brisbane winter air has a bite to it that belies what will be the usual summer heat when only a small bite of freshness to the air is quickly wrapped up by the enveloping heat. I have rolled out of bed, a little sleepy, taking a few minutes to let my body adjust from warm bed to chilly air, for my brain to try to understand that it really is good to get up, that even in the dark there is a beauty of being out and about when everybody else is sleeping. The clothes are pulled on, already prepared the night before so that the grey matter doesn't have too much to contemplate this morning. The runners, so comfortable, so familiar, slip onto my feet. I have a swig of water, tie my hair back, put on a cap and head out the front door.

The legs start to ache as they pound on the pavement, slowly waking up from their slumber. The lungs inhale gulps of cold air burning that burns slightly on its way in. The face is stung by chilly air. The feet and hands are cold. 5 minutes in and the blood is pumping, the mind is alert, the body is starting to respond to the demands I am putting on it. My breathing settles to an easy rhythmn, my legs go onto metronome rhythmn, the hardness of the ground disappears, my mind starts to contemplate the issues of life...that is when I know it is a good run. And that's where the issues of life get sorted, or at least the pressure released. My pressure valve sits somewhere between not wanting to leave a warm bed and the metronomic running pattern 5-10 minutes later. The issues that seemed to be building up dissolve into my sweat. There is a lightness in my mind as I run past dog walkers, watching the sky lighten, hearing the birds wake up. I can get my fix from running alone or with people, it is still an individual thing that people get different things from. I can't imagine every being able to achieve the same feeling from anything else. I'd cope, but the pressure valve would have to develop a slow leak to keep me sane....I think it would take lots of other things put together to even do that.

Running, losing yourself over the course of an hour or so, physically worn but mentally refreshed, the world of Faye seeming easier. Perspective achieved.

Present situation: pressure building, a slow leak not really helping enough.

Lost: one pressure release valve.

Wanted: nearest and dearest please keep looking and let me know when you find an alternative.

Time to go slothing ;-)

F
x

No comments:

Post a Comment