Friday, February 26, 2010

I've made it to Taper!!!

Well it is 1 week today until THE RACE.....eek!

Last Sunday saw another milestone in my training - a 30km run, and it was ok :-). How exciting, maybe not running for 4 months and only having started back 'land running' 4 weeks previous just means that I haven't over trained and smashed my legs...fingers crossed! And then.....taper!

It has been strange this week, 2 full days off (no, I wasn't really at Tuesday morning track session...I wasn't really there - honest, it wasn't me!). Then just 'maintenance' sessions to keep the legs and arms ticking over. Although Saturday Emm, Jacque and I did our session together and it really didn't feel too much like taper - 4 hours on the bike with rain, head winds, and a large hole in my new $90 tyre...followed by a 30 minute run. We had the realisation as we were riding around today that we will be doing exactly the same at the same time next week.....why is this a point of note you ask...well cause it will be during the race!!!!! OMG it is almost here!

But it was a momentous session on Saturday, the last long ride / run of the whole IM campaign. I remember our rides 20 weeks ago. It all seemed so far off then, and now it's here. We went from starting in the dark, to the summer weeks of riding at 430am and it was light; and we've gone full circle, we're starting in the dark again. Emm loudly declared this morning; 'This is the last time I am riding in the dark...ever'. Sure Emm, I'll ask you in July when we're having our coffee ride and it is dark, and cold :-). So, a few pictures of our last saturday session:






Sunday saw mass participation in the Clem 7 Tunnel run. 5000 eager runners (somre more eager than others) ran 10.45 km under the Brisbane River and back again before cars get the chance to clog it up with fumes. I was quite looking forward to it, 60minute run was scheduled on my 'taper' schedule and so I planned on just a gentle cruise along. Well, it wasn't that enjoyable - it was stinking hot with no ventilation. Luckily I got through and back again before the aid stations ran out of water, and was pretty pleased with my 12th overall women across the line. Not bad for a Sunday morning stroll :-). If I'd known how hot it was going to be though, I would have thought again....!

And it's Monday again....week 2 of taper, day before flying to NZ, day of packing, day of massage, day of epsom salt bath, day of thinking.....'it's too late if I haven't done enough now'!!!!!! eeeek!

Off to pack!

Faye
x

1 comment: