Friday, May 28, 2010

One step forward.....what comes next?...certainly not what I thought!!!?!

So this week I let a complete stranger put an injection of cortisone in my ITB, right near the outside of my knee. In fact not just 1 but 3 needles...

Well OK he wasn't a complete stranger, I've already let Dr.Andrew Smith inject Traumeel into my calf muscle and that's what helped me get to New Zealand in a 'competable' state; but still...I wasn't really banking on letting him put another needle near to my leg anytime soon!

The first 2 days of my week was spent realising that I was going to have a week of not only not running, but not riding either! I needed to go crazy fitting stuff in right (yeah I know it is supposed to be for the better good!)?! Mmmm well after a Monday morning criterion session I got told off by my physio for pushing things a little too far...yeah OK Leon, I hear ya, but I didn't get to the start line in New Zealand by totally listening to everything you said... ;-)

So with the agreed approach being to finally bite the bullet and see if a cortisone injection would calm down my inflamed ITB, I headed off to do the deed Tuesday morning. Following it up with an afternoon of standing up and massaging probably wasn't the best idea, but I left the surgery pretty positive, being told that I could get back on the bike for an 'easy' ride Saturday if my leg was feeling OK.

Yippeeee!

Well it is now Sunday evening and I haven't been back on the bike. I have had one swim with a pull buoy, lots of aching leg syndrome, a little frustration, and 4..count them..4 migraine headaches! What the?! There is a little stress in my life at the moment, but not to the extent to cause that! I have missed 2 days at work, suffered tunnel vision, pounding eyes and head, nausea, and finally today my body decided to vomit too. So strange has it been that I've even Googled whether there is a correlation with the Cortisone....check this out: Cortisone

So what is the next bit?! I was hoping 'One step forward two back' wasn't a saying that was going to be applying to me right now, but that's what it feels like. I am tentatively heading out to play on the bike tomorrow morning...just for a short easy ride you understand, and dearly dearly hoping that a new day doesn't bring another migraine. The desired effect of the cortisone injection has temporarily been forgotten (albeit a nagging little ache still present in my knee!), but hopefully it'll be the thing to concentrate on again for the new week!

Wish me luck!

f
x

No comments:

Post a Comment