Saturday, June 19, 2010

Knitting, Crochet.....or maybe sky diving?

16 weeks since Ironman. Three 5 minute runs resulting in a realisation of ITB issues......followed by weeks of no running to fully rest the ITB, stress fracture and body in general....rest, recuperate, and now I'm raring to go :-).

Well actually 'Can't get of the Bike' (which the last 16 weeks have been since I can't run), has become 'Don't get on the Bike'.
I am now on a 'no riding' period. You could be mistaken in thinking that I have taken up some new periodisation training directive that has moved into its next stage.....'Ok you've done the bike (novice crit race, Byron Triathlon bike, few hills, few strength wind train sessions), now we're onto running'. But no it is not. I have been banned by higher authorities.

No, no that's not right. I just got wrong which period of 'periodisation' that I am supposed to be entering. According to my physio I am now to enter the, 'take a month off and rest' period. He obviously has this canny plan of how to maintain the 'fittest I've ever been in my life' moment that I experienced 16 weeks ago. No running for 16 weeks, moving into no riding for another 4. Apparently a cortisone injection that doesn't make the problem better is not a good sign. So that little niggle at the side of my knee that should have gone away weeks ago is making the bigger picture seem more important than sweating the small stuff. And that bigger picture is Ironman New Zealand 2011, March 5th. And the small stuff....all those things that I thought would be on the radar this winter...Glass House Mountains trail runs - gone; Gold Coast Marathon - 2 weeks time, no chance; Tour of Toowoomba community ride - next week, no chance; Foster Long Course - September, unlikely; Gold Coast 1/2 Ironman - October 3rd, ???????

So during the next 4 weeks I shall be mostly.....

Doing sit ups
Doing press ups
Doing static rows
Swimming with a pull buoy (but no further than 2km cause it hurts my shoulder)
Doing butt strengthening exercises (thanks for telling me I need a sprinter's butt Leon!)
Baking cakes (and not eating them) - it is therapy
Going on a detox


So the new training plan is in action...at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon...with a glass of red wine and some cheese. Followed by roast chicken and probably a glass of white wine. I am looking to the benefits of 4 weeks devoid of almost all aerobic activity:

I get to appreciate the fact that I am actually alive
I learn that we are not infallible (although I'm sure I have learnt that one more than once now!)
I learn what hard work is about when I start training again
I don't take my ability and fitness for granted
I get to sleep in (though not too often otherwise getting up again is going to suck big time!)
I get to spend more time with people who I like :-)
I get to drink more wine (oops, forgot about the detox I'd promised!!!)

So with those things to think about, I might sign up for a sky dive....I'm not quite ready for knitting and after all I have to get the adrenaline rush from somewhere. I'm sure that such a tandem sky dive does not involve either running, cycling, or putting my legs under too much stress (take note Leon the physio, I am taking your advice) - cause someone else even deals with the landing! I'm off!

Yours in wine, sleep ins (and a little frustration and wall climbing)

F
x

No comments:

Post a Comment