Saturday, July 17, 2010

Back on the Bike?

I have had trouble thinking of something to write for the past 4 weeks and 4 days....my blog is about training right, and I haven't really been doing any; or nothing to speak of. And no, I am not counting days...well OK maybe I am. I have lost count of non-running days so this count only takes into account non-riding days. BUT the counter has stopped today!

It was time to 'get back on the horse' so to speak, and test this knee of mine out. Having rested it completely for 4 weeks and 4 days MUST had been of benefit surely!

Well it wasn't the best return to riding I've ever had. Hang on; I haven't yet had a 'return to riding' as I've never had a lay off riding before. My knee / ITB / troublesome leg was, well a little troublesome. Injury, lack of use, just getting used to working again? Well it gets to the situation where I think, 'well what is going to work'? With several months of no running and over 4 weeks of absolutely no riding, no kicking when swimming, no long walks and no stress (on my leg at least!), what comes next?

I guess I just have to suck it and see. No race entries are being penned (OK only that small one I had to do a month or so ago for NZ Ironman 2011)until I am training pain free, and things will go slowly slowly.

So, where to from now? I had a little think, what could I have written about these past 4 weeks and 4 days? My life has always always involved some kind of high intensity sport - mostly running until the body started telling me it was time to diversify. My esteemed friends have had plenty of suggestions of alternative sports to get stuck into....wait for it.....
- Marbles (No point, I lost mine a while back)
- Lawn bowls (mmmmm let me think for a nano second...NO!)
- Crochet (is that really a sport!)
- Darts (too much opportunity for overuse injury..)

Mmmmm, I am not inspired by any of those. But surely neither 'full on training' nor 'being injured' are the only labels that define me as a person? I hope not. Maybe I should start collecting ideas from those who know me, and start thinking myself about what defines me. Trouble is, I like being someone who trains, who pushes themselves to achieve, who can run, cycle and swim (probably in that order of ability!) with friends, who can be competitive in a friendly way, who can feel smashed but content at the end of a 5 hour ride and 1 hour run, who can wander at the start of a race 'why the hell am I doing this', and feel at the end 'wow I am SO glad I did'. Maybe I need to realise that I am still that person, maybe the frustration I feel is part of what makes me who I am, maybe I need to understand that nothing lasts forever and life continually changes, maybe I need to learn to say 'wow I am SO glad that I am' 'that I have the opportunity to do', 'that I know those I do'.

But maybe just maybe I'm just not quite there yet! I'm sure I will have other things to write about, they may not be as exciting, but it all tells a story.....and hopefully the story that gets me back on the bike, back in my runners, and back enjoying a flat white and fruit toast with friends after smashing ourselves silly pursuing the draw of those feel good hormones....maybe that's why we do what we do. If anyone finds something else that fits the bill in the meantime, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faye
x

1 comment:

  1. May the future goal of being a mother may give you a new focus and some special moments that your sporting pursuits and provided in the past

    ReplyDelete